Axis bank acquired Citibank: Indian Bank Saga
Axis Bank shares rise around 2% on acquisition of Citibank’s Indian consumer business
Current Affairs: In the latest round of merger and acquisition, Axis Bank announced that it had completed the acquisition of Citigroup’s India consumer business from Citibank NA. The acquisition was done at a total of Rs. 11,603 crores. It implies that now Axis Bank will handle all the Citibank’s existing and future business in India. As Axis Banks takes over Citibank, the Citigroup plans to exit retail operations in 13 markets, including India. Effective March 1, 2023, all Citibank India consumer business customers will be Axis Bank customers.
- New Deposit will be based on Axis Bank
- Portfolio management services and Alternative Investment Fund will be under Axis bank.
- Citibank “Global Banking Privilege” will not be available.
What remained the same?
- Bank account number, credit card, and debit card number
- Cheque Book and IIFSC code
- ATM, Internet services, mobile banking, existing services of Citibank
- Insurance Policy
- Home loans and NRI deposits rate
Banks in India
Banks in India play a crucial role in managing finances. It is the institution that deals in accepting deposits and advancing loans. Reserve Bank of India regulates the Banks in India, it is the central bank of the country. Banks are further divided into Commercial and cooperative banks.
The bank was founded on 3 December 1993 as UTI Bank. it is headquartered in Mumbai. The current CEO is Amitabh Chaudhary. Axis Bank has the largest ATM network among private banks in India. It even operates an ATM at one of the world’s highest sites at Thegu, Sikkim at 4,023 meters (13,200 ft) above sea level.
Citibank India is a foreign bank in India with a full-service onshore platform. The Indian headquarters is at Bandra Kurla Complex, Mumbai. Citi India is supported by a network of around 98 markets across the world. The bank serves close to 2.5 million customers ranging from corporate houses, multinationals operating in India, SMEs, self-employed entrepreneurs, households, and individuals.
1,300 years old Buddhist Stupa : Odisha
Khondalite stones were excavated
Current Affairs: The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) has found a 1,300-year-old stupa in Odisha’s Jajpur district from where Khondalite stones were excavated for the project around the Jagannath temple in Puri.
What exactly Khondalite stones:
- Foliated metamorphic rock. Also called in India as Bezwada Gneiss and Kailasa Gneiss.
- Stones were supplied for the beautification project around the 12th Century Shree Jagannath Temple in Puri.
- Stones were widely used in ancient temple complexes
What found in Archaeological Survey of India (ASI):
Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) found 1,300-year-old stupa.
- archaeological research and protection of the cultural heritage of the nation under the Ministry of Culture.
- Maintenance of ancient monuments and archaeological sites and remains of national importance
- It regulates all archaeological activities in the country as per the provisions of the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act.
Subhendu Bhuyan, member of the Jajpur Cultural Council said:
“Those who approved the plan for carrying out quarrying at Akhuapada should have applied their mind. Knowing well that many massive Buddha statues were discovered from Sukhuapada and preserved in the museum inside Lalitgiri archaeological site, they should not have allowed such big mining machines to be deployed there.”
The stupa could be 4.5 metres tall and initial assessment showed it may belong to the 7th or 8th century.
BIMSTEC Energy Centre : India hosts first meeting of Governing Board
BIMSTEC Energy Centre : India hosts first meeting of Governing Board
Current Affairs: The central government hosted the first meeting of the governing board of BIMSTEC Energy Centre (BEC) in Bengaluru.
What the Ministry of Power said:
“India’s ‘Neighbourhood first’ and ‘Act East’ policies were highlighted during the meeting and a snapshot of areas where BIMSTEC countries can learn and adapt from each other was also presented,” the Ministry of Power said.”
Which countries have active participants:
The meeting witnessed active participation from member countries Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka.
Ashost, India made a presentation on establishing BIMSTEC Energy Centre (BEC) in the premises of the Central Power Research Institute (CPRI), Bengaluru.
Ministry on nomination of first CEA:
“Ghanshyam Prasad, chairperson, CEA, was nominated as the first executive director of the Energy Centre. The meeting considered and finalised the note on ‘Host Country Agreement between the Government of Republic of India and the BIMSTEC Secretariat’. The same was recommended to the seventh meeting of BIMSTEC Permanent Working Committee for consideration
Countries approach towards meeting:
“The member countries appreciated India’s efforts for organising the first meeting of the governing board of BIMSTEC Energy Centre. The countries expressed that such meetings of the BIMSTEC will happen more frequently .” The Ministry said.
About BIMSTEC Energy Centre:
Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka, Thailand ( BIST- EC) – Economic Cooperation was formed at a meeting in June 1997
Myanmar was admitted in Dec 1997 and the organisation was renamed as BIMST-EC
Exercise Shinyuu Maitri: Indian Air Force Transport Aircraft Exercise With The Japanese Air Self Defence Force
The Indian Air Force (IAF) is participating in Exercise Shinyuu Maitri with the Japan Air Self-Defence Force (JASDF). The exercise is being organised on the sidelines of the Indo-Japan Joint Army Exercise, Dharma Guardian, which is being conducted from 13 February 2023 to 02 March 2023 at Komatsu, Japan.
- The exercise aims to enhance mutual understanding and interoperability between the two air forces.
- The IAF is participating in Exercise Shinyuu Maitri 23 with one C-17 Globemaster III aircraft.
- The exercise’s first phase includes discussions on transport operations and tactical manoeuvring, followed by the second phase of flying drills by IAF’s C-17 and JASDF C-2 transport aircraft.
Shinyuu Maitri: A Step Forward in Expanding Defense Cooperation between India and Japan
- Exercise Shinyuu Maitri 23 marks a significant step in the expanding defence cooperation between India and Japan.
- The exercise also allows the respective subject matter experts to interact and study each other’s operational philosophies and best practices.
- It comes at a time when the IAF’s heavy lift transport aircraft fleet is also taking part in Exercise Desert Flag VIII in the UAE and Exercise Cobra Warrior in the UK.
Japan and India Deepen Cooperation in Indo-Pacific Region
- The bilateral Shinyu-Maitri-23 transport aircraft exercise between the JASDF and the IAF is being held at the Komatsu Air Base and its surrounding airspace.
- The purpose of the exercise is:
- to improve air transport capability and
- to promote mutual understanding between the two air forces.
- The deployment of IAF C-17 aircraft and personnel for the exercise began on February 28, with the two-day exercise kicking off on March 1.
- The Japan Air Self-Defence Force (JASDF) will be participating with its domestically-developed and manufactured C-2 transport plane from the Miho base.
Strong Defense Ties between India and Japan
- The first Shinyu-Maitri exercise was held at the Air Force Station in Agra in December 2018.
- The forthcoming joint exercise comes close on the heels of last month’s inaugural Veer Guardian-2023 joint Air Exercise at the Hyakuri Air Base, which was a massive success.
- Both countries have hailed the “dramatic expansion” in security and defence ties in recent times, highlighting their commitment to a “common strategic goal” of achieving a free and open Indo-Pacific that is inclusive and resilient, based on the rule of law and free from coercion.
Joint Military Exercise ‘Dharma Guardian’
- The announcement of Shinyu-Maitri-23 comes at a time when troops of the Garhwal Rifles regiment of the Indian Army and an infantry regiment from the Middle Army of the Japan Ground Self-Defence Force (JGSDF) are taking part in the fourth edition of the joint military exercise ‘Dharma Guardian’ being conducted at Camp Imazu in Japan’s Shiga province from February 17 to March 2.
- The annual training event with Japan is crucial and significant in terms of security challenges faced by both nations in the backdrop of the current global situation.
Deepening Strategic Ties between India and Japan
- In another show of deepening strategic ties, two ships of the Japan Maritime Self-Defence Force (JMSDF) made a port call at Kochi last week.
- The joint exercises and visits of defence personnel and equipment have demonstrated the growing cooperation between India and Japan in the security and defence domains.
India and Japan: Strengthening Ties
- India-Japan defence ties have grown significantly over the years through bilateral and multilateral exercises such as Dharma Guardian, Malabar, and MILAN, with the participation of Japan for the first time.
- Tri-service exchanges between the two nations have been institutionalized, and coast guards have had regular annual exchanges since 2006.
- In the India-Japan Vision 2025, both nations have committed to working together for peace and prosperity in the Indo-Pacific region and beyond.
Bola Tinubu Wins Presidential vote : Nigeria
He is a former governor of Lagos State and lost the State in Saturday’s election to Obi
Current Affairs: The candidate of the ruling party in Nigeria, Bola Tinubu, was declared the winner and sworn in as the President of Nigeria, Africa. He thanked his supporters and appealed for reconciliation with his rivals, who are already demanding a revolt in Africa’s most populous nation. He will take command of a nation battling Islamic insurgencies in the northeast, armed attacks, homicides and kidnappings, strife between farmers and cattle herders, shortages of cash, fuel and power and enduring corruption.
As per the Independent National Elections Commission (INEC),
- Tinubu has received 8.79 million votes
- Atiku Abubakar received 6.98 million votes.
- Peter Obi received 6.1 million votes.
Statement of Bola Tinubu
“I take this opportunity to appeal to my fellow contestants to let us team up together.”
“It is the only nation we have. It is one country and we must build together.”
Statement of Babafemi Akin
“None of the others matches his record! And I am sure he will do well.”
About Bola Tinubu
He is a former governor of Lagos State and lost the State in Saturday’s election to Obi as Obi drew a strong following among younger voters.
Statement of Senior Adviser on Nigeria for the International Crisis Group, Nnamdi Obasi
“Tinubu will have to strive to win the support of the larger majority who preferred one of the other candidates, particularly the youth, the Christian groups that were opposed to his Muslim-Muslim ticket and Igbos in the South East who again feel denied the presidency.”
“For the onset, Tinubu will have to contend with challenges to his legitimacy, so he’ll need to ensure an inclusive government and focus firmly on rebuilding national cohesion.”
Statement of the Amaka Anku, Africa director at the Eurasia Group Consultancy
“Tinubu clinched victory in part because the opposition vote was split and because his party had the strongest push to get people out to vote.”
Statement of the Nigeria’s current President, Muhammadu Buhari
“Ofcourse, there will be areas that need work to bring further transparency and credibility to the voting procedure. However, none of the issues registered represents a challenge to the freeness and fairness of the elections.”
Both the countries have traditionally warm friendship. India established its diplomatic mission in Nigeria in 1958 and that was two years before Nigeria gained its independence in 1960.
President- Muhammadu Buhari
Currency- Nigerian Naira
Deputy Foreign Minister Kenji Yamada to represent Japan at G20 Foreign Ministers’ meeting in India
Japan is facing backlash and criticism from lawmakers and members of the public on social media.
Kenji Yamada, Deputy Foreign Minister is scheduled to visit New Delhi, India to attend the G20 Foreign Ministers Meeting from March 1 to 3. The Foreign Minister of Japan has announced to skip the G20 Foreign Minister Meeting due to the scheduling conflict.
Statement of Kenji Yamada, Deputy Foreign Minister, Japan
“At this meeting, we will take our position and efforts as Japan, the G7 presidency, on important issues in the current international situation, such as multilateralism, food and energy security, and development cooperation, as Russia’s invasion of Ukraine continues.”
Foreign Minister of Japan to skipping the G20 Foreign Ministers Meeting
The Foreign Minister of Japan, Yoshimasa Hayashi has announced that he is skipping the G20 meeting due to a scheduling conflict with the Japanese Parliament session.
Effects of the announcement of Foreign Minister of Japan
- Japan is facing backlash and criticism from lawmakers and members of the public on social media.
- As Japan is preparing to host the Group of Seven Summit in May, it has lost an opportunity to showcase leadership.
Statement of the Ruling Liberal Democratic Party lawmaker
Goshi Hosono, a ruling Liberal Democratic Party lawmaker has said that-
“It’s a regrettable decision that means forfeiting a chance to emphasize the importance of the rule of law to the developing countries that take part in G-20.”
About G20 Foreign Ministers Meeting (FMM)
- The Foreign Ministers Meeting of G20 is scheduled to take place from March 1 till March 2, 2023 in New Delhi.
- Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken and U.K. Foreign Secretary James Cleverly, China’s Foreign Minister Qin Gang, Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong will be attending this meeting.
- In this meeting PM Modi is scheduled to talk about India’s growing influence globally.
India- Japan Relationship
The friendship between both the countries have a long history related to spiritual affinity and strong cultural and civilizational ties. Both the countries share a global vision of peace, stability and shared prosperity, based on sustainable development. Both India and Japan shared democratic values and commitment to human rights, pluralism, open society, and the rule of law underpin the global partnership between the two countries.
Prime Minister- Fumio Kishida
Currency- The Japanese Yen
Click here to read more on G20 meetings.
The United States has deepened and strengthened its relationship with India, a senior State Department official said Tuesday
India is an incredibly important country in the region: Jessica Lewis
On Tuesday, A senior Department Official said that the United States has deepend and strengthened its relationship with India. Jessica Lewis, Assistant Secretary of State for the Political-Military Bureau has said that India is an incredibly important country in the region.
Statements of the Assistant Secretary of State for the Political-Military Bureau
Jessica Lewis, Assistant Secretary of State for the Political-Military Bureau has said that,
“We have deepened and strengthened our relationship with India, the largest democracy in the world, an incredibly important country in the region, and we are continuing to do so.”
“I think the way we see it is we offer India a choice when it comes to deepening and strengthening their security relationship with us. I feel very good about where that is going. Obviously, they have a long history of course, but I think we are making very good progress on that front.”
“We are seeing countries coming to us and saying look, we may need to diversify in ways that they haven’t before, off Russian equipment. Mainly because they are seeing the failure of Russia and Soviet doctrine in the war, but also raising questions about the equipment that Russia is providing and Russia’s ability to keep providing that equipment.”
“We think that this moment in time presents an opportunity for us to look at the question of how countries are becoming interested in the transition of Russian equipment both for the US and for our partners and allies. It does make sense for us to offer countries a choice. I think that’s how we’re thinking about it. We’re offering countries a choice.”
“There are really strong benefits to having a strong security cooperation relationship with the U.S. that goes beyond just a security cooperation tie and getting the best military equipment in the world.”
Relationship between India and USA
Both the countries enjoy a close relationship and have often been together on issues such as counterterrorism, distrust of Pakistan’s nuclear weapons program and Chinese influence in the Indo-Pacific.
About the USA
House of Speaker- Republican Kevin McCarthy
The 46th President- Joseph R. Baiden
Capital of the United States – Washington D.C.
Currency- US Dollars
Important days observed on March 1
Zero Discrimination Day
- Zero Discrimination Day is an annual observance held on March 1st that aims to promote equality, diversity, and inclusion by raising awareness of the negative impact of discrimination on individuals and communities.
- The day is an initiative of the United Nations (UN) and is part of their effort to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), specifically Goal 10, which is to reduce inequality within and among countries.
- Zero Discrimination Day recognizes that discrimination is a violation of human rights and a barrier to achieving a just and equitable society. It calls on individuals, organizations, and governments to take action to end discrimination in all its forms, including discrimination based on age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, and disability.
- The day serves as a reminder that everyone has the right to live a life free from discrimination and that we all have a role to play in creating a world where diversity is celebrated, and everyone is treated with respect and dignity.
World Civil Defense Day
- World Civil Defense Day is observed annually on March 1. This day is celebrated to raise awareness about the importance of civil defense measures in protecting people and their property from natural disasters, accidents and other emergencies. On this day work of several civil defense organizations have been honored.
- The theme for the year 2023 is “The role of information technology in risk assessment.” The theme for the year 2023 is based on the interest and importance of the role of technical systems, technological applications, and artificial intelligence techniques in determining risks related to civil protection and civil Defence.
- Importance- This day highlights the importance of civil Defence measures undertaken in protecting people and communities from emergencies. It also recognizes the contribution of civil Defence personnel, who work towards ensuring the safety and well-being of their communities.
World Seagrass Day
- World Seagrass day is celebrated annually on March 1. This day is celebrated to raise awareness about seagrass and its important functions in the marine ecosystem.
- The Seagrass are grass-like plants that live close to the sea and are the only flowering plant to grow in the marine environment. It has more than 60 species in the world and is the best carbon sink. These seagrasses also work towards providing food for marine life.
- As per the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), there are nearly 21% of the world’s seagrass which are vulnerable or endangered. The reasons for the vulnerability or endangered species are Pollution, coastal development activities and land based runoffs.
- History- The General Assembly has adopted A/RES/76/265 in May 2022 and proclaimed that 1 March will be celebrated as the World Seagrass Day. This step is taken by the General Assembly, highlighting the urgent need to raise awareness at all levels and to promote and facilitate actions for the conservation of seagrasses in order to contribute to their health and development. These steps were taken by the assembly to enhance the ecosystem services and functions as it is important for the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals.
Appointments and Resignations
Biden appoints two Indian American corporate leaders to his Export Council
The Export Council will be headed by Mark Edin, chairman of Kastle Systems.
Joe Biden, the US President has announced the appointment of the two Indian Americans to his powerful Export Council which is the principal national advisory committee on international trade. On Tuesday, Biden announced a list of members he intended to appoint to the council. The Export Council will be headed by Mark Edin, chairman of Kastle Systems.
Indian-Americans appointed by the US President
- Punit Renjen, the former CEO of Deloitte Consulting and
- Rajesh Subramaniam, CEO and president-elect of FedEx
About the Export Council
Many leaders from the corporate sector, labour, real estate, national security and law have been a part of the President’s Export Council. Some of them are
- Karen S. Lynch, President and CEO of CVS Health;
- John Lawler, the Chief Financial Officer of Ford;
- Gareth Joyce, CEO at Proterra;
- Brett Hart, President of United Airlines;
- Beth Ford, President and CEO of Land O’Lakes; and
- Qualcomm CEO Cristiano R. Amon.
Statement from the White House
“The Council advises the President on government policies and programmes that affect US trade performance; promotes export expansion; and provides a forum for discussing and resolving trade-related problems among the business, industrial, agricultural, labour, and government sectors.”
About Punit Renjen
- He retired as Deloitte Global CEO after having served in the role since June 2015.
- He is deeply committed towards advancing diversity and inclusion at Deloitte through measurable actions towards gender balance.
- In 2022, he was recognised by the Economic Times as “Global Indian of the Year.”
- The Carnegie Corporation of America as one of 34 “Great Immigrants. Great Americans.”
- He received the Global Achievement Award by the US-India Strategic Partnership Forum in 2021.
- He has also received the award “The Oregon History Makers Medal”, in the year 2020.
About Raj Subramaniam
- He is responsible for providing strategic direction for all FedEx Operating companies as the President and CEO of FedEx.
- He chairs the 5 person Executive Committee which plans and executes the corporation’s strategic business activities.
- He also chairs the FedEx Strategic Management Committee.
- Subramaniam serves on the board of directors of FedEx Corporation, the Procter & Gamble Company, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s China Center Advisory Board, FIRST, U.S.-India Strategic Partnership Forum, and the US-China Business Council, and a member of the US-India CEO Forum.
- Achievements- He has received the award of the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award
Rajesh Malhotra, appointed as the new Principal DG of PIB
The Indian Information Service officer will take the charge as head of PIB after Satyendra Prakash
Press Information Bureau has got its new leader. Rajesh Malhotra, a 1989 batch IIS officer is appointed as Principal Director General of the Press Information Bureau. He has been succeeded by Satyandra Prakash, who has been superannuated on Tuesday. Mr. Malhotra has 30 years of operational experience in planning and implementing media and communication strategies for the Election Commission of India along with various Central ministries and departments. He was associated with the Election Commission of India for the past 21 years as in charge of Media and communication.
Along with this, he has played a crucial role during the pandemic in steering the policy communication regarding Atmanirbhar package of Finance Ministry.
Press Bureau Information is the nodal agency that works under the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting. It is headquartered in New Delhi. The PIB circulates information about government plans and policies in the print, web and electronic media. It is available in 14 regional languages other than English and Hindi. The head of PIB is also the Official Spokesperson of the Government of India and holds the rank of Principal Director General (Special Secretary equivalent)
The Indian Information Service is the central civil service under Group A and Group B of Central Civil Services of the executive branch of the Government of India. IIS officers are the media managers of the Government of India. They act as a vital communication link between the Government and the people by way of disseminating information and communicating various Government policies and schemes to the public at large; and also collecting and providing valuable feedback to the Government for policy formulation. It was formed in 1960 and present Cabinet Secretary is Secretary Shri Rajiv Gauba
Ministry of Information and Broadcasting
It was established in the year 1947 and is headquartered in New Delhi. The Present Minister is Mr. Anurag Thakur. Ministry of I&B is a ministerial level agency of the Government of India responsible for the formulation and administration of rules, regulations and laws in the areas of information, broadcasting, the press and the Cinema of India
Lieutenant General MV Suchindra Kumar takes over as Vice Chief of Army Staff
Lieutenant General MV Suchindra Kumar has taken up the post of Vice Chief of the Army Staff as of 01 March 2023. He has replaced Lieutenant General BS Raju, who has taken over as the head of the Sapta Shakti Command in Jaipur.
Experienced Officer with Diverse Expertise
- Before taking on his new role, Lieutenant General MV Suchindra Kumar served as the Deputy Chief of Army Staff (Strategy) at Army HQ.
- His recent appointments demonstrate his expertise in intelligence, operations, force structuring, operational logistics, and tech infusion.
Distinguished Military Career
- The new Vice Chief of the Army Staff is an alumnus of Sainik School Bijapur and the National Defence Academy.
- He was commissioned into the 1 ASSAM REGIMENT in June 1985 and has served in various capacities, including as:
- a commander of the 59 Rashtriya Rifles Battalion (ASSAM),
- an Infantry Brigade,
- an Infantry Division on the Line of Control, and
- the highly active White Knight Corps in Northern Command.
Wide Range of Staff and Instructional Appointments
Lieutenant General MV Suchindra Kumar has held a variety of staff and instructional positions throughout his career. These include:
- an instructional tenure at Infantry School, Mhow,
- Senior Operations Officer in the United Nations Sector in Cambodia,
- Colonel (Policy) in Military Secretary Branch,
- Indian Army Training Team at Lesotho,
- Brigadier General Staff (Operations) of a Corps in the Eastern Theatre,
- Additional Director General Military Intelligence, and
- Director General Military Intelligence at Army HQ.
Extensive Training and Publications
The Officer has attended prestigious courses such as:
- the Defence Services Staff College, Wellington,
- Higher Command Course, Mhow, and
- the National Defence College, New Delhi.
He has also participated in courses on:
- ‘Cooperative Security in South Asia’ in Sri Lanka and
- ‘United Nations Senior Mission Leaders Course’ in Egypt.
His military papers have been published in several professional journals, demonstrating his knowledge and expertise in the field.
Jadeja becomes the 2nd Indian cricketer to complete 5000 runs & 500 wickets in International cricket
He has won the Player of the Match Award, for his all-round performance in the first two matches.
Today, Ravindra Jadeja, all-rounder Indian cricketer has created history during the first day’s play for the third Test between India and Australia in Indore. Jadeja has become the second Indian to complete a double of 500 wickets and 5000 runs for India in international matches after Kapil Dev.
Kapil Dev: First Player with 5000 runs and 500 wickets in International Matches
- He was one of the greatest pace bowlers and one of the greatest fast-bowling all rounder.
- He was voted as India’s Cricketer of the Century during 2022, ahead of Sunil Gavaskar and Sachin Tendulkar.
- It was his stamina which took him to 431 wickets and only a year beyond.
- He returned to cricket again as a bowling consultant and served as chairman of National Cricket Academy for two years and later he joined Indian Cricket League which led to his removal from the NCA.
Achievements of Kapil Dev
- He has the record of most wickets taken in his career which is 687 wickets.
- He has the record of the most balls bowled in his career which is 38943 balls.
- He also has the record of most runs conceded in his career 19812.
- He has the record of most wickets taken i.e. 364 wickets.
About Ravindra Jadeja’s accomplishment
He is playing his 63rd Test for India and accounted for the dismissal of the Australian opener Travis Head on the fourth ball of his first over, which completed his 500 wickets in international cricket and by doing so, he completed the double of 5000 runs and 500 wickets.
- He has won the Player of the Match Award, for his all-round performance in the first two matches.
- He was ranked as the No.1 bowler in ODI Cricket by the ICC in August 2013
- In the opening game of Border-Gavaskar Trophy against Australia, Jadeja won the player of the match for his five-wicket haul and fifty-plus run innings.
- He has taken the most wickets in his career i.e. 499 and is in the 37th position.
- He also has the record of most balls bowled in his career which is 25002.
- He has a record for the most runs conceded in his career is 14686.
- He also has a record of most wickets taken bowled which is 116 wickets.
About Ravindra Jadeja
- He is a left-handed batter, all-rounder and has played a total of 63 Tests, 171 ODIs and 64 T20Is for India.
- His total scores are 2623 runs in Tests, 2447 runs in ODIs and 457 runs in T20Is.
- His statistics for the bowling figures are 260 wickets in Tests, 189 wickets in ODIs and 51 wickets in T20Is.
List of Players achieved the milestone of 500 wickets and 5000 runs in International Cricket
- Shahid Afridi
- Jacques Kallis
- Wasim Akram
- Daniel Vettori
- Chaminda Vaas
- Shaun Pollock
- Shakib Al Hasan
- Kapil Dev
- Ravindra Jadeja
- I Khan
- I Botham
Most wickets among the Indian players with 5000 runs in International Cricket
- Kapil Dev – 687
- Ravindra Jadeja – 500
- Ravi Shastri – 280
- Sachin Tendulkar- 201
- Yuvraj Singh – 147
- Virender Sehwag- 134
- Sourav Ganguly – 132
MRF Tyres ICC Men’s Test Bowling Rankings : Ravichandran Ashwin tops
James Anderson is now five rating points behind Ashwin, who remains on 864 points.
In the second Test in New Delhi, Ashwin claimed the top spot after taking 6 wickets. Ravichandran Ashwin is the veteran Indian off-spinner, who jumped to the top of the latest ICC Men’s Test Bowling Rankings. He replaced England’s pacer James Anderson and claimed the top spot after taking 6 wickets.
About Ravichandran Ashwin
- He first claimed the top honor among Test bowlers in 2015 and has returned to the top spot several times since then.
- Ashwin bagged big wickets in India’s win in Delhi, removing Marnus Labuschagne and Steve Smith in the same over of the first innings.
- In the second innings, the off-spinner picked up three of the top five.
- He is the third No.1 Test bowler in as many weeks after Anderson replaced Australia captain Pat Cummins.
Achievements of Ravichandran Ashwin
- He has the record for most wickets in a career which is 686 wickets.
- He has the record for most balls bowled in a career which is 31556 balls.
- He also has the record of most wickets taken caught which is 382 wickets.
- He also has the record of the most wickets taken by a fielder which is 323 wickets.
- Ashwin is on the brink of surpassing some of the major records held by Anil Kumble and Kapil Dev.
- India will be hosting Australia in the third of the four-match Test series at the Holkar Cricket Stadium in Indore, here, Ashwin has the perfect opportunity to make new records.
- Ashwin is just 8 wickets away from equalling Anil Kumble’s 111 wickets against the Australian team in the Border-Gavaskar Trophy.
- With this, Ashwin is also just 2 wickets away from eclipsing Kapil Dev’s tally of 687 wickets in international cricket.
Measures Being Taken To Introduce Age-Appropriate Sexual Awareness Curriculum In Schools, State Informs Kerala High Court
The Director of General Education has informed the Kerala High Court that steps are being taken to commence classes related to sexual awareness in schools from the upcoming academic year. The committee of experts formed by the State Government is creating an age-appropriate sexual awareness curriculum to be included in the curriculum as soon as possible.
Court orders progress update on sexual awareness curriculum
- Justice Bechu Kurian Thomas had previously expressed disappointment with the State for not taking measures to include prevention-oriented programmes on sexual abuse as part of the school curriculum.
- The court ordered the committee members to explain the details of the meetings and measures taken by them.
- The Director General of Education and the Additional Director of Education presented the court with details of the committee meetings and the steps taken to implement the directions of the court.
Court directs the committee to include representative from KELSA
- The court expressed satisfaction with the explanation provided by the committee and directed the committee to include Adv. Parvathy Menon, the Project Co-ordinator of the Victim Rights Centre under KELSA, is a member of the Committee.
- The court suggested that the presence of the Kerala State Legal Services Authority (KELSA) through a representative could enrich the Committee’s deliberations and contribute significantly to creating the curriculum.
Court concerned about sexual offences committed on school children
- The court had on previous occasions expressed its concern at the alarming rise in the number of sexual offences committed against school children.
- It observed that in many instances, the perpetrators themselves were students, and the voice of the victims of sexual abuse should not be suppressed.
- The court invoked its jurisdiction under Article 226 of the Constitution for issuing directions to the State Government and CBSE to identify the mode and methodology for imparting an age-appropriate prevention-oriented programme on sexual abuse.
- It emphasized that education is essential for empowering the victim to speak out and be aware of the consequences of sexual offences and their ramifications.
Meet Justice Bechu Kurian Thomas
- Justice Bechu Kurian Thomas completed his B.A.L, L.L.B. from the Government Law College, Ernakulam in 1992 and started his legal practice in Kottayam.
- He shifted his practice to the High Court of Kerala at Ernakulam in 1995 and established the firm Bechu Kurian & Co in 1998.
- Justice Thomas has an extensive practice in all fields of law, including Constitutional law, Administrative law, Taxation law, Corporate law, Arbitration, Environmental law, Civil Law, Criminal law, and Maritime law.
- He was designated as a Senior Advocate by the High Court of Kerala on 19th August 2015.
- He was sworn in as an Additional Judge of the High Court of Kerala on 6th March 2020.
- Justice Thomas has appeared before various Courts and Tribunals within and outside the State of Kerala, including the Supreme Court, National Company Law Appellate Tribunal, and National Green Tribunal, among others.
- He was the recipient of the 1997 British Council Chevening Scholarship and was a member of various social organisations including Round Table India and Rotary International.
The Kerala High Court: A Brief Overview
- The Kerala High Court stands at the head of the judicial administration of the State of Kerala and the Union Territory of Lakshadweep.
- It was established in 1958 and is located in Kochi.
- The court comprises a Chief Justice and a maximum of 52 judges.
- At present, the sanctioned Judge strength of the High Court of Kerala is 35 Permanent Judges including the Chief Justice and 12 Additional Judges.
- The court has a reputation for the speedy disposal of cases.
- The Kerala High Court is an important institution of justice in the state of Kerala and plays a crucial role in upholding the rule of law.