Indian govt made significant efforts to detect, disrupt, degrade operations of terrorist organisations: US report
Terrorism has affected several parts of India such as the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K), the northeastern States and parts of central India.
As per the U.S. Bureau of Counterterrorism’s Country Reports on Terrorism 2021, the Indian Government has made significant efforts to detect, disrupt, and degrade the operations of terrorist organizations.
Country Reports on Terrorism 2021
Terrorism has affected several parts of India such as the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K), the northeastern States and parts of central India. Some of the active terrorist groups in India are:
- Hizbul Mujahideen,
- Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen, and
- Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh
Joint Working Group
- In October 2021, the US and India held the 18th meeting of the Counterterrorism Joint Working Group.
- In November 2021, India hosted the second Quad counterterrorism tabletop exercise along with Australia and Japan.
- India responds promptly to U.S. requests for information related to terrorism investigations and makes efforts to mitigate threats.
- India takes Collaborative efforts to disrupt terrorist travel and alerts are issued to U.S. authorities for possible threats in the United States and against U.S. interests.
- In 2021, 153 terrorist attacks were reported in India’s Jammu and Kashmir which caused 274 deaths where 193 were terrorists.
Measures taken by India
- It expanded the number of State-level Multi-Agency Centers to strengthen sharing of intelligence among State and federal agencies.
- India implemented UNSCR 2396 by using watch lists, implementing biographic and biometric screening at ports of entry, and prioritising information sharing.
- The U.S. and Indian governments have committed to collaborating on improving border security and information-sharing capabilities.
- India is implementing dual-screen X-raying for cargo screening at airport locations.
- India has taken significant law enforcement actions.
About National Intelligence Agency
- It was established in the year 2008 and its headquarters is in New Delhi.
- In September 2021, NIA investigated 37 cases related to ISIS and arrested 168 people.
- NIA has also investigated 9 cases of possible terror funding.
- To prevent the radicalization, the Indian Army runs schools, training courses, recruitment drivers, medical camps and emergency services in Jammy and Kashmir.
10 yrs post-retirement, a life-size statue of Sachin Tendulkar at Wankhede
Sachin Tendulkar retired a decade ago and played his last game for India in the Wankhede Stadium.
There are plans to install a life-size statue of Sachin Tendulkar inside the Wankhede Stadium. Sachin Tendulkar retired a decade ago and played his last game for India in the Wankhede Stadium. There has also been a speculation that if everything does not work out well, the inauguration of the statue may be delayed until the 50 over World Cup planned later this year.
“The statue will be unveiled on April 23. It will be the legend’s 50th birthday.”
Statement of the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA)
Amol Kale, President of the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) has said that-
“It will be the first statue in Wankhede Stadium, we will decide where it will be placed.”
“He (Tendulkar) is a Bharat Ratna and everyone knows what he has done for cricket. As he turns 50, it will be a small token of appreciation from the MCA. I spoke to him three weeks ago and his consent was received.”
Cricketers honored in Wankhede Stadium
- Sachin Tendulkar already has a stand named after him at Wankhede Stadium.
- Sunil Gavaskar, former Indian Captain has also been honored by MCA with a corporate box.
- Dilip Vengsarkar, batsman has also been honored with a stand named after him.
Other Honours given to the Players
- There are wax statues of several players with stands named after them in their respective state associations.
- Many former cricketers have their statues at Madame Tussauds in London.
- A life-like statue of Shane Warne at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
Statement of Share Warne in regards of the Statue
“It’s a great honour, it’s a bit weird seeing yourself up there but I’m very proud,” Warne had said at its unveiling in 2011. “It’s 300 kilos, that statue! it’s pretty life-like when I play!”
About Sachin Tendulkar
- He has played 200 Test matches, 463 one-day internationals, and one T20 for India.
- His record of most centuries (100) and most runs in international cricket (34,357) still stands tall and unbroken.
About Mumbai Cricket Association
The Mumbai Cricket Association is the governing body for cricket in Mumbai and surrounding regions such as Thane and Navi Mumbai. Its headquarter is situated at Cricket centre in Churchgate, Mumbai. It governs Mumbai cricket team and organizes, sanctions cricket tournaments in Mumbai district. Its current President is Mr. Amol Kale.
Nirmala Sitharaman flagged off several NABARD programmes in Sikkim
She emphasized Vibrant Villages programme aims to ensure facilities like telecom and internet in border villages
Finance Minister, Mrs Nirmala Sitharaman flagged off several programmes of NABARD in Gangtok, Sikkim today. The Union Minister was on a two-day visit to the state.
On the first day, the minister attended a Budget outreach programme in Gangtok. She stressed the central government’s focus on reaching the last eligible beneficiary of welfare schemes and services. Later, she interacted with students and encouraged them to inculcate the spirit of innovation and unite by rising above creed, caste, religion and culture to make India a developed nation by 2047.
She said that she would visit Lachen in Mangan district and border villages to ensure that all central government schemes are being implemented to achieve their intended outcomes. She would also visit these areas to ensure that the targets proposed under the Vibrant Villages programme are fulfilled. The minister will attend a public interaction at Lachen Dzumsa.
National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) is an apex regulatory body for the overall regulation of RRBs (Regional Rural Banks) and apex Cooperative Banks in India. It is under Ministry of Finance, Government of India. It was established in 1982, current Chairman is Shri. Shaji K V The bank works on “matters concerning policy, planning, and operations in the field of credit for agriculture and other economic activities in rural areas in India”.
Vibrant Villages programme
It is a Centrally sponsored scheme of the Government of India with a financial allocation of Rs. 4800 crore. The main aim is comprehensive development of villages of blocks on the northern border thus improving the quality of life of people living in identified border villages. Primary features include connectivity with the all-weather road, drinking water, 24×7 electricity – Solar and wind energy to be given focused attention, mobile and internet connectivity.
Ministry of Finance
It is a ministry within the Government of India concerned with the economy of India, serving as the Treasury of India. It concerns itself with taxation, financial legislation, financial institutions, capital markets, centre and state finances, and the Union Budget. R. K. Shanmukham Chetty was the first Finance Minister of independent India.
Capital – Gangtok
Chief Minister- Prem Singh Tamang
Governor- Lakshman Acharya
Nitish Government tabled 2.61 lakhs crore Budget
The Finance Minister of Bihar said there has been slight increase in the state share of central taxes.
Bihar Government has presented Budget of Rs. 2.61 Lakh crore. The Budget of Nitish Kumar government highlights the state’s strong financial position supported by indicators such as fiscal deficit staying below the prescribed limit.
Budget 2023-24 highlights:
- proposed budget expenditure of Rs 2,61,885.4
- Fiscal deficit remind at 3.78% of State GDP
- Increase in State’s share in Central taxes
The Bihar government emphasized that the budget reveals the state is in good shape. However, flagging the concern of a drop in grant in aid from the central government.
It can be accessed here at : Bihar Budget
Budget is not a term in the constitution but “Annual Financial Statements” has been defined under Article 202 of the Constitution of India. Due to the Federal system, states presents their own budget in their respective assemblies. As the financial year comes to an end on March 31, it is the ideal time for all the governments to table their budget estimates. Financial year in India is observed from April 1- March 31.
Fiscal Deficit – It is the most used term in budget parlance. It is that part of budget which the government borrow to finance its expenditure in the financial year. It is a liability on state shoulders.
Bihar is a state in eastern India. It is the second largest state by population. Bihar borders Uttar Pradesh to its west, Nepal to the north, the northern part of West Bengal to the east, and with Jharkhand to the south. The Bihar plain is split by the river Ganges, which flows from west to east. The present Chief Minister is Nitsh Kumar and Governor is Rajendra Arlekar. In Ancient India, it is the place where we find Nalanda University, Mauryan Empire, home of Ashoka and many others.
Elon Musk returns to the top, becomes richest person on the planet again
He lost his position as the world’s richest person in December 2022 as Tesla shares declined
As Tesla Stock prices surged again, Elon Musk has reclaimed his title of being the world’s richest person. He lost his position as the world’s richest person in December 2022 as Tesla shares declined and was replaced by Louis Vuitton CEO Bernard Arnault.
About Elon Musk
- His net worth now stands as USD 187 billion and at the beginning of the year, his net worth was USD 137 billion.
- Since September 2021, he has been the world’s richest person and before him, Amazon founder Jeff Bezos held the spot.
- In the beginning of the year 2023, Elon Musk had been recognized by Guinness World Records for breaking the world record for losing the most money in history.
- Musk became the largest shareholder of Tesla by investing a gigantic amount of USD 6.5 million.
- In 2008 he assumed his role as the CEO and product architect of the company in 2008.
- He sold large chunks of his Tesla shares in 2022, to buy twitter and later on to cope with the losses of his brand-new acquisitions.
Press release by the Guinness World Records
The press release by Guinness World Records also stated that “Although the exact figure is almost impossible to ascertain, Musk’s total losses far surpass the previous record of $58.6 billion, set by Japanese tech investor Masayoshi Son in 2000.”
About the changes done my Elon Musk in Twitter
- He fired the company’s then CEO- Parag Agrawal along with other top executives.
- He did mass lay off and at that time the majority of Twitter staff has either resigned if not being laid off.
- He reduced the workforce in Twitter to around 2300 people.
- He reduced the monetization infrastructure team to less than 8 people from 30 people.
World’s Richest Person
- Elon Musk – US
- Bernard Arnault- France
- Gautam Adani- India
- Jeff Bezos- US
India’s Richest Person
- Gautam Adani- Adani Groups
Canadian govt blocks TikTok from official devices
Canada’s chief information officer has determined that it presents an unacceptable level of risk to privacy and security.
On Monday, the Canadian Government banned TikTok from all of its official phones and other devices. This step has been taken by the Canadian government citing concerns about data protection.
Official Government Statement
“Effective Tuesday, the TikTok application will be removed from government-issued mobile devices. Users of these devices will also be blocked from downloading the application in the future.”
“Canada’s chief information officer has determined that it presents an unacceptable level of risk to privacy and security.”
“TikTok’s data collection methods provide considerable access to the contents of the phone.”
- The parent company of TikTok is ByteDance, which is a Chinese company.
- Due to the increasing fears about how much access Beijing has to user data, the company is facing increasing Western Scrutiny in recent months.
Ban in other countries
- Last week, the European Commission banned the app from its equipment.
- Similar moves have been following in the United States.
- In 2020, India banned the app entirely citing a law that allows the government to block websites and apps in the interest of the country’s sovereignty and integrity.
Statement of the TikTok Spokesperson
“The Canadian decision to block TikTok was “curious” as it was taken “without citing any specific security concern” or consultation with the company.”
Relationship between China and Canada
- The relationship between both the countries have deteriorated due to Canada’s arrest on a U.S. warrant of a Huawei senior executive in 2018 and China’s retaliatory detention of two Canadian Nationals.
President- Xi Jinping
Prime Minister- Justin Trudeau
Currency- Canadian Dollar
Why US hails India for ‘significant efforts’ in report on counter-terrorism
Why US hails India for ‘significant efforts’ in report on counter-terrorism
To detect, disrupt, and degrade operations of terrorist organisations
U.S. Bureau of Counterterrorism’s Country Reports on Terrorism India that,”The Indian government made significant efforts to detect, disrupt, and degrade operations of terrorist organisations.”
What Report says:
Terrorism affected the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K), the northeastern States, and parts of central India. The report further says, the terrorist groups active in India. A shift was observed in terrorists’ tactics in 2021. They shifted towards attacks on civilians and greater reliance on IEDs, including an explosive attack using drones on an air force base.
According to the report, India responds promptly to U.S. requests for information related to terrorism investigations. Efforts taken to mitigate threats in response to U.S. information. Collaborative efforts to disrupt terrorist travel continue. Alerts are issued to U.S. authorities for possible threats in the United States and against U.S. interests.
What are the Indian Government efforts:
India expanded the number of State-level Multi-Agency Centers to strengthen sharing of intelligence among State and Federal agencies.
According to the official report, India implemented UNSCR 2396 by using watch lists, implementing biographic and biometric screening at ports of entry, and prioritising information sharing.
Pursuant to a bilateral arrangement, the U.S. and Indian governments have committed to collaborating on improving border security and information-sharing capabilities.
Significant law enforcement actions by India include a National Intelligence Agency (NIA) Special Court sentencing.
India as member of FATF:
India is a member of FATF, the Asia/Pacific Group on Money Laundering, and the Eurasian Group. India’s Financial Intelligence Unit-India is part of the Egmont Group. The NIA investigated nine cases of possible terror funding, according to the US report. The Indian Army runs schools, training courses, recruitment drives, medical camps, and emergency services in Jammu and Kashmir.
About US Bureau of counter-terrorism:
Jurisdiction: United States
Young Professional Scheme visas for UK Graduates
The scheme has been launched simultaneously in London and New Delhi, available from February 28 till March 2
The Indian High Commission opened the visa application process for UK nationals to apply for the new Young Professionals Scheme (YPS). Indian and British nationals aged between 18yrs and 30yrs can apply to live and work in either country for upto two years. There are certain criteria for applicants applying for a visa under the scheme, including a graduate degrees and sufficient funds. Young citizens of India and the UK can visit each other for up to two years at a time.
The updated details are available on the Indian High Commission website. The application is to be made under the E-1 Visa through the VFS Global visa service provider, indicating the purpose as “application under the India-UK YPS program”. As per the website, successful applicants can take up employment as an incidental part of their stay within specific sectors. Those who would be coming to India are required to register with Foreign Regional Registration Office.
The scheme had come at a time when the British High Commission in New Delhi opened its ballot for the first set of 2,400 visas available to eligible Indians under the reciprocal scheme. The ballot, which is free to enter opens today and closes on March 2.
India has a high commission in London and two consulates-general in Birmingham and Edinburgh. The United Kingdom has a high commission in New Delhi and six deputy high commissions in Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, and Kolkata. Both countries are full members of the Commonwealth of Nations. The growth of India’s multinational companies contributed greatly to UK’s business and economy. Also, they have employed more than 105,000 people in the UK. Tata Group alone employed over 63,760 people in the UK.
Currency- Pound Sterling
Prime Minister- Rishi Sunak
Union Minister Parshottam Rupala inaugurates Grand start-up Conclave in Hyderabad
The Union Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Parshottam Rupala, inaugurated the ‘Grand Start-Up Conclave’ in Animal Husbandry and Diary at a Convention Centre in Hyderabad.
The event was attended by Ministers of State for I&B, Dr L Murugan and MoS Animal Husbandry, Dr Sanjeev Kumar Balyan, along with the State Minister for Animal Husbandry and Fisheries, T. Srinivas Yadav.
Technology intervention is necessary for the development of Animal Husbandry in the country
- In his address, Mr Rupala emphasized the importance of technology intervention in the development of animal husbandry in the country.
- He also highlighted the initiative taken by Prime Minister Narendra Modi for startups in every sector, including the need for a startup for farmers of Animal Husbandry.
- The Minister emphasized the importance of innovation and entrepreneurship in the sector.
Animal Husbandry is a sunrise sector
- Dr L. Murugan, Minister of State for I&B, spoke about the significance of animal husbandry as a sunrise sector.
- He highlighted the allocation made in the Amrit Kaal budget for infrastructure development in the Animal Husbandry unit.
- The Minister also mentioned the use of the latest technology in Animal Husbandry and Fisheries to improve production.
Promoting existing and emerging startups in the livestock, dairy, and animal husbandry sectors in the country
- The ‘Grand Start-Up Conclave aims to promote existing and emerging startups in the livestock, dairy, and animal husbandry sectors in the country.
- The event brings together entrepreneurs, investors, and industry experts to share their ideas.
- The conclave includes:
- showcasing selected startups,
- pitch fest,
- a buyer-seller meet, and
- a workshop for startups to train the early-stage startups operating in the Animal Husbandry and Dairying sectors.
In conclusion, the ‘Grand Start-Up Conclave’ provides a platform for startups in the Animal Husbandry and Dairying sectors to showcase their products and services and connect with potential investors and industry experts.
The event highlights the importance of innovation and entrepreneurship in the sector and the need for technology intervention to achieve sustainable development.
The Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries Department
The Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries Department has three separate wings headed by the Secretary to Government. He acts as the administrative head of the department and an advisor to the Hon’ble Ministers of the following three departments on all matters of policy formulation and administration relating to these departments.
1. Animal Husbandry Department
- Animal Husbandry plays a major role in providing veterinary health services and in improving the production potentialities of livestock and poultry reared in the State.
- The Department is also involved in various veterinary extension activities to enlighten the farmers on the best animal husbandry practices.
2. Fisheries Department
- The Fisheries sector has been recognized as a powerful income and employment generator to improve the socio-economic condition of the marine and inland fishermen in the State.
- Tamil Nadu with its 1076 km of coastline is a leading State in fish production.
3. Dairy Development Department
- Tamil Nadu is one of the frontline States in milk production, with daily milk production of roughly around 127 lakh litres per day.
- TCMPF Ltd. popularly known as “Aavin” handles the commercial activities of the Department such as milk procurement, processing, chilling, packing and sale of milk to the consumers, etc.
- The ultimate objective of this Department is to empower the target groups to improve their socio-economic condition by improving milk production in the State.
India shocks England to win Women’s Snooker World Cup
India ‘A’ exhibited skill and determination to overcome established players on the tour to lift the title.
India A, represented by Amee Kamani and Anupama Ramachandran, defeated England A 4-3 in the Women’s Snooker World Cup to win the title at Hi-End Snooker Club. Despite being unranked on the tour, the Indian duo exhibited skill and determination, overcoming established players like 12-time world champion Reanne Evans and world number four Rebecca Kenna.
Kamani is proud to make India proud
- Amee Kamani expressed her pride in making her nation India proud after winning the Women’s Snooker World Cup with her teammate Ramachandran.
- Kamani added that she aims to keep winning every world title and that the hard work has paid off.
- The duo only decided to enter the team event shortly before the entry deadline, looking to gain valuable match practice ahead of the upcoming World Championship.
Ramachandran enjoys winning debut in the Women’s Snooker World Cup
Anupama Ramachandran was delighted to win the Women’s Snooker World Cup in her first tournament with World Women’s Snooker. The Indian snooker player initially found it challenging to adjust to the tables, but she managed to enjoy the game, going shot by shot, and that helped her succeed.
World Women’s Snooker Championship
The World Women’s Snooker Championship will begin in Thailand on Tuesday and run until March 4.
Supreme Court refuses to entertain Manish Sisodia’s plea challenging CBI arrest, advises him to approach Delhi HC
The Supreme Court declined to entertain the plea by Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia against his arrest by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in the Delhi Excise Policy scam. The court asked Sisodia to approach Delhi High Court or trial court to quash the FIR against him or obtain bail.
CJI agrees to hear Sisodia’s plea at 3:50 PM
Earlier this morning, Sisodia’s plea was mentioned for an urgent hearing at the Chief Justice of India’s bench. The CJI agreed to hear the case at 3:50 PM, despite initially informing the lawyers that they have remedies before the High Court.
Sisodia’s custody extended by five days
On February 26, the CBI picked up Sisodia for his suspected links with alleged irregularities in the Delhi excise policy. His custody was extended by five days by a CBI court the next day.
Sisodia named as an accused in CBI’s FIR
Sisodia, who also holds the education portfolio in the Delhi government, is one of the 15 accused named by CBI in its First Information Report (FIR) registered on August 17, 2022.
Probe initiated following recommendation from Lieutenant Governor of Delhi
The agency initiated the probe following a recommendation from Lieutenant Governor of Delhi VK Saxena, who had alleged irregularities in the formulation and implementation of the now-withdrawn excise policy. CBI Director Subodh Jaiswal reached the CBI office. Sisodia underwent a medical examination.
National Science Day is observed on 28 February, 2023.
This Day is celebrated to commemorate the announcement of the Discovery of the “Raman Effect”.
Under the then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi in 1986, the Government of India has designated February 28 as National Science Day to commemorate the announcement of the Discovery of the “Raman Effect.” The theme for this year’s celebration is “Global Science for Global Wellbeing.” In 1930, CV Raman won the Nobel Prize for his discovery of the Raman Effect.
Discovery of CV Raman
- Raman conducted a simple experiment and discovered that when a stream of light passes through a liquid, a fraction of the light scattered by the liquid is of a different color. This discovery has become the subject of more than 700 papers in the first 7 years after its announcement.
- He was fascinated by the sea’s deep blue color. Dissatisfied with the then-accepted answer.
- He soon found out that the color of the sea was the result of the scattering of sunlight by the water molecules. Fascinated by the phenomenon of light-scattering, Raman and his collaborators in Calcutta began to conduct extensive scientific experiments on the matter.
- The Raman Effect- It refers to the phenomenon in which when a stream of light passes through a liquid, a fraction of the light scattered by the liquid is of a different color. This happens due to the change in the wavelength of light that occurs when a light beam is deflected by molecules.
About CV Raman
- He was born in 1888 to a family of Sanskrit scholars in Trichy (Tiruchirapalli), Madras.
- He received a BA degree from Presidency College in Madras at the age of 16 and at the age of 18 years he got published in the Philosophical Magazine: this was the first research paper ever published by Presidency College.
- In 1907, he got married and settled down in Calcutta as an assistant accountant general and he later on began after-hours research at the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science (IACS).
- Raman raised the profile of IACS, doing some award-winning research as well as conducting public demonstrations with charisma.
- At the age of 29, he finally resigned from his civil services job and took up a professorship in Presidency College, Calcutta.
- In 1921, he had gained a solid reputation as a top scientific mind both in India and in the West.
- CV Raman and KS Krishnan has co-authored their first report to Nature titled- “A New Type of Secondary Radiation” and wrote that-
“60 different liquids had been studied, and all showed the same result – a tiny fraction of scattered light had a different colour than the incident light.”
The importance of the discovery
- Raman’s discovery was crucial for quantum theory, in vogue in the scientific world.
- It is also useful in chemistry, giving birth to a new field known as Raman spectroscopy as a basic analytical tool to conduct nondestructive chemical analysis for both organic and inorganic compounds.
- With the invention of lasers and the capabilities to concentrate much stronger beams of light, the uses of Raman spectroscopy have only ballooned over time.
- This method has a wide variety of applications such as studying art and other objects of cultural importance in a non-invasive fashion to finding drugs hidden inside luggage at customs.