Arun Subramanian, confirmed SDNY Judge
Arun Subramanian will become the first South Asian to preside in the Southern District, which has one of the largest South Asian populations in the country.The Senate confirmed the nomination of Mr. Subramanian by a vote of 58-37 Tuesday evening.
Senate Majority Leader Senate Chuck Schumer said:
“We have confirmed Arun Subramanian as an SDNY (Southern District of New York) judge. He’s a son of Indian immigrants and the 1st South Asian-American judge confirmed to SDNY — which has one of the largest South Asian-American populations in the country. He’s dedicated his career to fighting for people.”
Mr. Schumer said,:
“Mr. Subramanian is the “epitome of the American Dream and a history maker” he further added, “Mr. Subramanian’s resume tells a very clear story: he is excellent, he is accomplished, he’s dedicated his entire career fighting for average Americans. He served as a law clerk to Judge Dennis Jacobs on the Second Circuit, Judge Gerard Lynch in the Southern District of New York, and the late, great, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.”
Mr. Subramanian’s Contribution:
- Currently he serves as Chairperson of Susman Godfrey.
- He also contributes to the legal community by taking on pro bono cases outside of the courtroom and has served for years.
- Mr. Subramanian served as a law clerk for Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court of the United.
- Mr. Subramanian has successfully redeemed over a billion dollars for public and private entities that were the victims of fraud and other illegal conduct.
- He is a partner at Susman Godfrey LLP in New York.
- The Indian-origin attorney has taken up the cause of public entities in False Claims Act cases, victims of trafficking in child pornography, consumers and individuals injured by unfair means.
About Arun Subramanian:
- He was born in: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in 1979.
- His parents: immigrated to America from India in the year :1970s.
- He graduated summa cum laude from Case Western Reserve University in 2001
- He holds a degree in computer science.
- His father served as a control systems engineer at several companies.
- His mother worked several jobs, including as a bookkeeper.