United Nation “All Important World Events and Historical Days” (1st December 2022- 7th January 2023)
Multiple Events and Historical Significance of United Nation
Why is United Nation (UN) pivotal –
Following the conclusion of World War II, the League of Nations was succeeded by the United Nations, which was founded with the intention of preventing future global wars. The League of Nations was considered unsuccessful.
All Important World Events- United Nation
As part of its peacekeeping operations carried out under the auspices of the United Nations, India is stationing an entirely female contingent in the Abeyi region of Sudan.
January 6, 2023- UN Food and Agriculture Organization
In March, just after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine hampered essential flows of grain and vegetable oils from the breadbasket country, an indicator of food-commodity costs set a new record.
- Black Sea crop-export agreement and successful harvests by other growers cushioned supplies, prices fell before stabilizing as the year came to a conclusion.
- The gauge, which monitors five important staples, declined 1.9% in December, according to a data from the UN Food and Agriculture Organization. 1% losses for the year, the first yearly decrease since 2018, were reached.
- Prices are still significantly higher than they were ten years ago, which has contributed to the world’s cost of living dilemma and aggravated the hunger crisis that the UN had hoped to solve by the end of the decade. The index increased by an average of 14% over 2022 as a whole.
January 4th 2023- Karabakh blockade
According to reports, efforts to get the United Nations Security Council to issue a joint statement on the ongoing de facto blockade of the Armenian population of Karabakh have reportedly failed. This has reportedly set off a chain reaction of claims and counterclaims about who was responsible for the blockade. Both Armenia and Azerbaijan have indicated that Armenia, with the assistance of France, was making efforts in the final days of 2022 to get the Security Council to publish a press statement criticizing Azerbaijan for the blockade.
January 3, 2023
Robert A. Wood, the US ambassador to the UN, informs the Security Council during an emergency meeting about National Security Minister Ben Gvir’s trip to the Temple Mount that Washington is concerned about rising tensions between Israel and the Palestinians.The US firmly backs maintaining the historical status quo with regard to Jerusalem’s sacred sites, particularly on the Haram al Sharif Temple Mount.
30th day of December, 2022
Officials from the Palestinian government expressed their satisfaction with the adoption of a resolution by the General Assembly of the United Nations on Saturday,
- The International Court of Justice to rule on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, the “annexation” of Palestinian land by Israel, and the “legal status of the occupation.”
- In the meantime, it was reported that Israel was pleased that the number of countries voting in favour of the resolution was lower than what had first been feared to be the case.
- On 27th December 2022: the resolution that was advocated for by the Palestinians was successful in garnering 87 votes in its favour, 26 votes against, and 53 abstentions.
December 26th to 3rd January , 2023
The M23 stated on 21st December, 2022 that it has withdrawn from its positions in Kibumba as of the 23rd of December,
- Denying claims that it had failed to leave Kibumba as they were published on 21st December, 2022. It went on to say that it was dedicated to the deal that was struck by regional leaders in November, which called for the M23 to withdraw from positions that it had recently occupied and allow thousands of people who had been displaced to return to their homes.
- During the latest offensive carried out by the Tutsi-led rebel group in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) last year, at least 450,000 people were forced from their homes. The DRC government,
In 74 years, the U.N. Security Council has finally adopted a resolution on Myanmar to call for an end to the bloodshed and to demand that the military junta free all political prisoners-:
21st December 2022 -:
United Nations General Assembly Adopts Resolution Confirming 2025 Edition of UN Ocean Conference in France – The resolution “2025 United Nations Conference to Support the Implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 14.
December 19, 2022
At the United Nations (“UN”) Biodiversity Conference in Montreal, Canada, on December 19, 2022, officials from 188 nations established a new pact to direct international action on nature.
- The UN Convention on Biological Diversity, or the “Convention,” oversaw the discussions that led to the agreement, the Kunming-Montreal Global Biodiversity Framework (“GBF”), with the first summit taking place in Kunming, China, in October 2021.
- Negotiators came to a historic agreement -: Would be the largest attempt to safeguard the world’s lands and oceans and provide crucial funding to save biodiversity in developing countries. The global framework is released on the final day of the COP15 United Nations Biodiversity Conference in Montreal.
14th of December, 2022
Wednesday, the United Nations issued a statement in response to the recent skirmish that took place between Chinese and Indian troops in Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh on December 9.
- The statement called for a “de-escalation” of the situation,During a press briefing, the spokesperson for the Secretary-General of the United Nations, Antonio Guterres, stated, “We also call to guarantee that the tensions in that area (LAC, Tawang sector) do not develop.”
- According to an official statement released by the Indian Army on Monday, a skirmish that took place on December 9 along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Arunachal Pradesh’s Tawang sector resulted in casualties to soldiers from both the Indian Army and the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) of China.
United Nation “Historic Relevance”(1st December 2022 to 7th January 2023)
3rd December 2022-: International Day of Persons with Disabilities
The United Nations designates December 3 as International Day of Persons with Disabilities (IDPD), and this day is honored annually around the world.
10th December -: Designated annually as Human Rights Day
Commemorating the date in 1948 when the United Nations General Assembly unanimously approved the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR).
11th December 2022 -:UNICEF
- Several nations around the world had yet to fully recover from the blow of World War II. On December 11, 1946, the General Assembly of the United Nations decided to establish an emergency fund to care for and safeguard the lives of children everywhere (1953)
- On December 11, thousands of UNICEF associates around the world reiterated their commitments to strive to improve the condition of children around the world, especially those from the most disadvantaged sectors. This day came to be known as UNICEF Day.
18th December 2022-: Arabic Day
One of the cornerstones of the world’s myriad cultural traditions is the Arabic language. It is estimated that more than 400 million people speak it on a daily basis, making it one of the most frequently spoken languages in the world. The celebration of Arabic Language Day falls on the same date every year as the day in 1973 when the General Assembly of the United Nations decided to make Arabic the sixth official language of the organisation.
20th December – International Human Solidarity Day
On December 20, 2002, the General Assembly passed resolution 57/265, which led to the establishment of the World Solidarity Fund. The World Solidarity Fund was established as a trust fund of the United Nations Development Programme in February of 2003. Its goal is to end poverty and advance human and social development in nations that are still on the path to economic growth, with a special focus on the most impoverished parts of those countries’ populations.
4th January, 2023 – Day of the World Braille
- Conditions affecting the eyes are surprisingly frequent. According to estimates provided by the World Health Organization (WHO), at least one billion individuals around the world suffer from a near or distance vision impairment that either might have been avoided or has not yet been addressed.
- People who have problems with their vision -: More likely to be living in poverty and to have other disadvantages than people who don’t have these problems. Vision loss typically signifies a lifetime of injustice, poorer health, and hurdles to education and employment. If their needs aren’t met or their rights aren’t fulfilled, there are far-reaching implications.
Future of United Nation –
Commitments to gender equality and leaving no one behind, which include bolstering social protections and fostering gender parity, acknowledge the significance of protecting vulnerable groups of people and acknowledge the value of doing so.